Outdoor Picnic Rug
The Ultimate Guide to Choosing An Outdoor Picnic Rug
You can never tell when an outdoor picnic rug could be useful, but for the moments when you do need it, how do you pick out the right one?
Outdoor rugs, also referred to as picnic rugs or picnic blankets, are sought after for many reasons: they offer a comfortable cushion between you and the ground, they define your or your group’s personal space when in a public setting, and they’re much easier to carry around than a folding table. They also add a fun and playful atmosphere to every gathering, making them a popular picnic accessory.
If you’re in the mood to get a new outdoor picnic rug or if you’re shopping for your first one, it never hurts to have a roadmap for picking out the best choice for your needs. Let’s tackle the top questions about outdoor picnic rugs and get you ready for your upcoming holiday!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I choose the right size for my picnic rug?
Choosing a portable picnic rug can seem daunting, especially if it’s your first time getting one. Thankfully, we have a quick guide you can refer to when you’re ready to shop for one.
First, keep the following question in mind: ‘How many people will be using this rug?’
The average space a person needs to feel comfortable starts at 50 cm in every direction. With that as a starting point, let’s use a beach picnic rug measuring about 1.0 m by 2.0 m as an example: It’s just enough for one person lying down or two people sitting or standing side by side.
If you’re looking for a family picnic blanket, then do a quick headcount and multiply upwards to get your ideal measurements. Conversely, if you need an outdoor picnic rug for an event that will have upwards of ten people in attendance, you may want to consider getting multiple rugs and spreading them out instead.
An oversized rug offers greater comfort and coverage, so it’s always better to have a rug that’s a bit too large over one that’s too small. At Miss Amara, we have many rugs that come in different sizes, like the Tiana Brown and Beige Tribal Picnic Rug, so you can get the ideal size for the rug your heart desires.
Can I use an outdoor picnic rug on a hard surface?
Generally speaking, you can use an outdoor picnic rug on surfaces like cement or wood, but they may not be as comfortable to sit on because of the lack of give.
When using your picnic rug on such surfaces, you may want to consider the following factors first:
- Comfort. Hard surfaces like concrete, asphalt, or packed dirt are uncomfortable to sit on for extended periods. If you're planning to use your picnic rug on such surfaces, you’ll want to choose a thick or padded outdoor picnic rug to provide more cushioning.
- Slippage. Some fibres or materials can be slippery on hard surfaces, which can be a concern if you’re picnicking with children or people with special mobility needs. To prevent the rug from sliding around, consider a non-slip underlay; this can be bought separately if your preferred outdoor rug doesn’t already have one.
- Wear and tear. Using a camping picnic mat on a rough or abrasive hard surface can wear it out faster than using it on grass or sand, potentially leading to fraying or tearing. If you’re buying a picnic blanket for family use and can foresee it being used often, consider getting one made from durable materials.
- Temperature. Using your picnic rug directly on asphalt or concrete could mean the ambient temperature will seep through the material and make you uncomfortable. Direct sunlight could heat up the concrete or asphalt and warp the rug as well, especially if it’s made with synthetic fibres. You may prefer a large outdoor blanket with some thickness over the more lightweight outdoor blanket options for comfort and opt for natural fibres for longevity.
For many, a good picnic rug is an investment, so keep both your comfort and your rug’s lifespan in mind when shopping for an outdoor picnic rug. Your ideal rug may come with a price tag, but what about your comfort? That’s priceless, and so are the memories you’ll make while using your rug.
How thick should my picnic rug be for comfort?
The thickness of your rug can affect your comfort while picnicking, but how do you know if it’s thick enough? Here are a few general guidelines that could help you decide how thick your outdoor picnic rug should be.
- Thin rugs (3-5mm). These rugs are lightweight and easy to carry, making them ideal for travelling (the Pragya Abstract Pattern Picnic Rug is our favourite option). We recommend using a lightweight outdoor picnic rug on surfaces with some give, such as the beach or on soft grass.
- Medium thickness rugs (6-8mm). This thickness offers a good balance between comfort and portability, though they may carry some weight due to the thicker piling (piling is how dense your rug’s fibres are). They provide enough cushioning for most surfaces, including grass, sand, and some flat surfaces, making them suitable for general picnicking or lounging.
- Thick rugs (9mm or thicker). These are the most comfortable when it comes to hard or uneven surfaces. They're also the ideal choice for extended lounging or for outdoor gatherings where you'll be sitting for some time. The downside is that they can be bulkier and heavier to carry, so check if your preferred rug comes with any carry-on options.
There are also other factors to consider, such as the material of the rug, its size, and the maintenance requirements. For example, some rugs may be machine-washable for easier clean-up, while others may require an underlay for use on damp surfaces.
If you’re shopping around for a new outdoor picnic rug, it might be worth trying out a few different types to see what works best for you. Check out our handpicked options at Miss Amara for fun ideas.
Miss Amara: Transforming Your Online Rug Shopping Experience
Rugs are some of the essential elements in home decor that can elevate and define spaces in your home, whether it’s an area rug space divider or an outdoor picnic rug spotlight. However, shopping for them shouldn’t be so hard to get or so expensive that they become unattainable.
At Miss Amara, we understand the transformative power rugs can provide for your home. It’s why we’ve taken everything we loved about online shopping and refined it for your rug shopping pleasure. Our mission is to make your rug shopping experience as delightful as envisioning the rug in your space.
Whether you’re looking for an extra large picnic blanket for family outings, a large waterproof picnic rug for a playdate, or a sand free beach blanket for an upcoming holiday, we have wonderfully premium options that could suit your preferences.
At Miss Amara, we don’t just sell rugs; we transform the way you shop for them. Every dream rug should find its dream home, and at Miss Amara, your dream rug could be just a click away!